Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Back to the basics



Drew’s Reminder,


Back to the basics.

     We live in a very complex world.  We have smart phones.  We have smart cars.  We are all connected to the worldwide Internet through numerous devices.  You are reading this post on your MacBook pro, your Surface, your new Windows 8 pc, your Apple Ipad, your Samsung Galaxy 5 and the list goes on and on.  Years ago you would have been reading this in some periodical that was published, printed and then mailed just to make it accessible to you.

     However, with all the technology out there, don’t lose sight of the basics.  Technology can be great and provide some much needed improvements in our life.  Yet, if you rely on it too much in the wrong way it can have an adverse effect on your life.  It can make you lazy.  It can make you feel a little too complacent.  It can make you take things for granted.  Some of you may say, so what as long as I’m getting the results that I want.  I’m interested in getting results too.  I’m just more interested in getting sustained results.

     So what does complexity have to do with sustained results?  It's simple.  If you make things too complex it makes you run the risk of a small failure having too large of an impact.  


     As an example, I once owned a used 7 series BMW.  It was my dream car or so I thought.  The car itself had over 30 computers inside of it.  I thought that was great until the battery died.  In the past I would have been able to go to any parts store and get a compatible battery to replace the dead one and I'd be on my way.  Because of the complexity, I not only had to purchase a relatively expensive battery but I also had to take it to a BMW dealer to have it programmed to the car in order for it to work.  This is just one example of many I had with that car.   I no longer own that BMW because to me the complexity wasn't worth it in the end.

     Another example can be found in the world of getting in shape.  The exercise and fitness industry makes billions of dollars a year.  There are supplements, special equipment, exercise videos, fitness trainers, special clothing, special shoes and the list goes on and on.  Everyone is in search of the golden nugget that will take them to the 6 pack promise land.  However, if you run out of money and can't afford the gym, the trainer, the supplements or the special shoes will you still get the results you want? You can and I have.   After all the years of my searching for the golden nugget I'm actually getting the best results now.  I'm getting those results because I'm eating more fruits and vegetables.  I'm doing body weight workouts that don't require any equipment.  I'm working out in thin, flat, barefoot based, running shoes.  I'm spending far less money and my regimen is far less complicated.  The beauty of it all is I've been able sustained my results over the long period of time. Ask any Marine about the good ole jumping jack.  They’ll tell you it is the best exercise ever invented. 

     My last example is the standard paper and pencil.  I've gone through many computers in the last 20+ years.  I've had several of them crash.  I've had some just get so slow that it was no longer worth the effort to turn them on.  I've never had one stolen but I know plenty of people who have.  What is great about the paper and pencil is I still have a notebook that's almost 20 years old.  The notebook was my go to when it came to writing down my ideas.  Every time I had what I thought was my million dollar idea I would write in that notebook.  I recently purchased some new notebooks that have had a great impact on me recently.  I used a notebook to write 10 things every day that I was grateful for during my 28 day journey while reading the book, "The Magic".  I also bought a journal to write down goals, ideas and other writing techniques.  It’s all so simple and basic.  I can go to just about any store and buy a college ruled composition notebook and a pack of pencils.  I don’t have to worry about new downloads or antivirus security.

     As I have tried to give you some real life examples from my world where I have had success reducing the complexity in my life, I want to make sure I get the point across for this reminder.  Technology is great. Trying the latest new age solution to any problem is great.  If those options are your plan A then go for it.  However, you should always be ready to implement plan B.  The B stands for basic.  As you know many times plan B will work out much better than Plan A in the end.  That’s because Plan B has actually proven itself successful in the past. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel to get to where you are going.  Sometimes a basic wheel is all you need.  Enjoy the journey!
 
With gratitude,

Drew


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments: