Monday, March 9, 2015

Cruise control…..

Drew’s Reminder,

Cruise control…..

     It’s that feature on your car that you seldom use.  You know the one that has the buttons right there on the steering wheel so it is quick and easy to access.  The whole premise behind the feature is to allow you to set a speed, sit back and relax as you drive to your next destination.  However, you can’t really use the cruise control to get all the way to your destination.  Eventually your will have to brake and take to take a turn or avoid an accident and your cruise control will automatically go off.

     If you are like me you don’t like using your cruise control.  It actually makes driving a little boring to me.  I like the interaction of being in full control at every moment of my drive.  I like to be able to accelerate, decline and monitor my speed at every second of my travel to my destination.  For me it makes the drive more interesting.  It gives the drive more meaning.  When I get to my destination I feel more accomplished because I was much more involved in how I got there.  So my cruise control feature is useless in my car.

    Life can be the same way.   Some of us have been on cruise control way too long.  Just like in the car you will never get to a destination while in cruise control.  If you want to get somewhere you’ll have to take some action.  You’ll have to make some change to the patterns that are now controlling your cruise control.  Is there a destination that you want to get to but you just can’t seem to get there?  Are you truly happy or have you made yourself believe that you are comfortable?  What is comfort anyway?  To most of us comfort is a component of happiness. However many of us aren't happy but we tell ourselves we are comfortable because it helps us avoid addressing the truth.  Addressing that truth can lead to a state of happiness that you've never experienced before. That's a destination that we should all strive to align ourselves to visit.

      The great thing is you don't need to be distraught, just like with cruise control you have been moving along a path towards a destination and that destination is happiness.  You can take some comfort in that.  All is not lost.  Possibilities are endless so don’t grow too concerned if you find yourself in cruise control.  This is just a gentle reminder that if you want to reach your destination you are going to have to come out of cruise control and make some changes to make it there.  If you are like me you don’t want to be in cruise control anyway.  You want to be an active creator in your life experiences.  It will make it much more fun and meaningful when you do get to your destination.  We are only here for a snapshot in time so why not enjoy every moment.  Take some action and turn off your cruise control to get to your ultimate destination while you can.

With gratitude,

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments: