Monday, March 2, 2015

Visualize the race before you run it....


Drew’s Reminder,



Visualize the race before you run it.

     I was 16 years old and I really wanted to win.  Why else would I stay after school and endure those grueling practices that made me light headed at the verge of passing out?  Good thing I had a coach to help me along the way.  Even though I didn’t see six 200m dashes at full speed as help, there is one thing I still remember to this day.

     Before each race my coach would tell me a technique that I think we should all still use today.  He would tell me to close my eyes and see exactly how I would run the race before I ran it.  Explode out of the blocks at the sound of the gun.  Drive, with your head down, for the first 3rd of the race.  Bring your head up and continue driving relaxed for the second 3rd of the race.  Finally, drive through to the finishing line pushing your chess across the line.  He would tell me to see it in my mind just how I wanted it to occur.  He told me to see myself winning.

     I may not have won every race but I did win my fair share.  I was a state regional champion and I’m proud of that.  I will never forget that feeling of visualizing the win and then it actually occurring.  I started every race optimistic and confident that I would win.  When I didn’t win, I analyzed why and began preparing to fix it for the next race.  I wasn’t sad or down I was motivated.  Ready for the next challenge.

      All these years later I need to take that same advice in every situation I find myself in today.  If I have a meeting to present in I should stand outside that conference room door and visualize how well I will present.  I should visualize all of the decision makers acknowledging my thoughts and voting to do exactly what I want.  If I’m meeting someone to sell a product or idea I should visualize me convincing everyone in the meeting to buy my entire inventory or accept all of my recommended ideas. 

      By visualizing the outcome I am creating an expectation, the expectation to succeed.  I believe I will succeed.  By believing that I will succeed I am aligning my thoughts and actions to be able to succeed.  Does that guarantee success on my first try?  No it may not.  However, it will guarantee success if I kept the faith and continue trying.  Close your eyes and visualize your desires.  Do it now and do it often.  You will be at that finish line before you know it.

With gratitude,

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments: